Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Pregnancy Scare Resolution

Hi Internet. Let me begin by admitting that I've been keeping something from you. You see, during my 12 week ultrasound something potentially bad was noted.

They saw that my placenta was circumvallate. That means that it wasn't completely connected to the uterine lining. The doctor talked to us, telling us that this could be a problem but we shouldn't worry about it until our next ultrasound because it often resolves itself. Then, he insisted we NOT Google circumvallate.

And because we went to Tacoma the very next day and visited friends, I was distracted and mostly didn't think about it. That lasted for three whole weeks (the distraction not the staying with friends part). Then my inner researcher took over and I did the unthinkable, I looked it up. It turns out that circumvallate placentas are very rare, like less than 1% of all pregnancies, and are associated with preterm labor, restricted fetal growth, and higher rates of placental abruption, which is seriously not good. I went on to look up academic journal articles, which only confirmed what I had found.

Then I stewed.

I wanted to talk to R about what I had discovered, but I didn't want him to freak out. He's prone to worry already. Also, the doctor had told us that the situation might resolve itself. Why make R worry unnecessarily? So I stayed quiet and tried to ignore what I'd found out.

We had our 20 week ultrasound yesterday and situation resolved! Everything is looking fabulous. The placenta is completely attached and fine. The baby is growing and has actually moved from the 43rd percentile in length to the 53rd (Whoa baby! Wait to grow huge until mommy has you out of there!).

I wanted to write about this because I know other women are being told the same news I was at 12 weeks. It's scary. It's hard not to freak out. There's not a lot of information out there and the chat sites are mainly limited to scared mommies who have just been told that they are circumvallate...no follow ups to ease others' minds.

So mommies, call down. This situation doesn't necessarily spell disaster. Follow your doctor's instructions and know that plenty of women with this diagnosis go on to have beautiful, perfect babies. I'm rooting for you.

With love,
Call Me Jo

2 comments:

Unknown said...

My circumvallate placenta seems to have resolved itself as well! I didn't even know this was possible! It first showed up on my 12 week scan, but my doctor said not to put too much worry into it because its quite early to detect this. It was confirmed at my 20 week scan that I did indeed have a circumvallate placenta. I just have my 24 week scan, and the ultrasound tech couldn't find the issue anymore! I will know for sure next week, but that's great news to me!

Call me Jo said...

Glad to hear the good news! I hope the rest of your pregnancy goes smoothly!