Wednesday, September 12, 2012

A Life Update

So, our long anticipated Labor Day Reunion happened. Five friends from all over the country (read three states) came to our house, bringing a total of two children with them, and awesomeness was had. All the preparations we had made for the visit paid off, and, thankfully, all the things I didn't get done went unnoticed. Honestly, I kept them too drunk and sleep deprived for them to take note that the bathroom rug hadn't been vacuumed and I never did iron the curtains after we bought them and they all have square-shaped creases. Not like I'm one of those neurotic people who would notice that or anything.*

*If you invite me to your house and have never ironed your curtains I will notice. But I promise not to let you know that I noticed.

We had a great time. Good friends, no matter how long it's been since you've seen each other, seamlessly fall back into those old roles. We poked fun at one another and giggled at the barrage of sexual innuendo like we were all in junior high...even though we met each other in our twenties. We're all super immature when it comes to hearing the word butt or boobie.

I got to quiz my two female friends about their babies, pregnancies, and post-pregnancy sex lives. In exchange, they joyfully filled me in on the trials and tribulations of breastfeeding and using cloth diapers. One of their babies was in that super-cute babbling stage and we all enjoyed passing him around and letting him try to rip our faces off with the tiny razors he passes off as fingernails. The other kid is a toddler who is, very likely, a genius. He's not even two and he can count to 10, say his ABCs, and perfectly pronounce words like "excavator" and "succulent." In my mind, this sets the bar crazy high and I now plan to teach our Potential Baby to  recite the periodic table by the time he/she walks...not that I want to start any baby competitions with my bestest friends or anything.

Speaking of Potential Baby, that plan is still on. And by on I mean on, wink wink nudge nudge. We are frantically (that's right) trying to get me impregnated. THAT has led to a complete lack of alcohol and an extreme trimming of my caffeine consumption, which just happens to coincide perfectly with our annual fall sleeping schedule adjustment. So now, my coffee has been replaced by steamed milk which does little to nothing for me at 5:30 in the morning.

...I know that this was going to tie in somehow with something or other, and it was going to be interesting. I swear. But that whole 5:30 in the morning without caffeine thing. Yeah.

So, until next time [insert witty catch phrase here - I'm too tired to think of one]!

No comments: