Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Toddler Update

It's been such a long time, blog, but I swear, I haven't forgotten you. I think of you often, if not necessarily fondly. What can I say, the truth is that you sometimes seem like an unnecessary obligation. I realize that is harsh of me to put forth, but in the midst of work, chores, plans, and a toddler-sized tornado, you will always be last on my list.

Just had to get that off my chest. Phew!

SOooo, I have a toddler. One that talks. Like, A LOT! And says absolutely hysterical things like, "Naked boys best!" and "Oh no! Karma (the dog) no pocket!," in between a litany of "mama! Mama! MAMA!" and "Eat! Eat! Eat!"

He's also flirting with potty training - something I am sure he's doing because I don't want to. My plan was to wait until 2ish, while spending the months leading up to it making regular potty usage seem like a special, awesome thing. Also, by then it would be summer and he could run around without clothes on. Instead, around 18 months, he bugged us so much to use the potty, and started telling us before he did his #2s, that without any fanfare at all, we bought a toilet seat. Then a toddler-sized potty. He likes to request to use it a lot. He tries to use it sometimes. And has actually used it 3 times. We do a special potty dance when the feat is accomplished, but I'm largely letting him tell us when he wants to try. Very low key. You know, the exact opposite approach I was planning because kids love to laugh as they burn your plans down to the ground. Hooligans!

He insists on doing many things (walking up and down stairs, climbing onto furniture, making huge messes with silverware during meals) "like a big boy." Oh, and he's also been out of his crib for weeks because someone was capable of climbing out. Yes, that's right, my toddler has free reign of his room. Nap time has largely been fine, but bedtime ramped up from crib-secured drink requests to shoving things under the door, screaming for those things when they were no longer within reach, banging on the door, opening closet doors, and basically running amok. Bedtime is such a longer process now!

Yeah, so my baby is not really a baby any more and is much closer to the little boy continuum. The only thing anchoring him to baby is that he is still nursing. That's right. At 20 months we are still nursing - just once a day, first thing in the morning, but it's still very much a thing. HAHA self from 10 months ago, your concerns about weaning and/or nursing past 12 months were totally a waste of time.

Aww. No longer a baby. I can't believe it. But, in my opinion, this is better. Better snuggles, better communication, better sleeping (you know, once he actually falls asleep). Toddlers are a lot of work, but they are so much more involved in the world.

I just wish I didn't still have to feed him every hour. Yep, that's still totally a thing. Apparently forever. I'm starting a savings account now to pay for his food during the teen years.

No comments: